NSW Service for the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Torture and Trauma Survivors.
STARTTS is a specialist, not profit organisation that for more than 25 years has provided culturally appropriate and cutting edge psychological treatment and support to help people heal the scars of torture and refugee trauma and rebuild their lives in Australia.
STARTTS helps people and communities from refugee backgrounds, including asylum seekers, who were forced to leave their county due to persecution in the context of political conflict, organised violence and human rights violations. STARTTS also supports and resources services providers, educational institutions and volunteer groups to work more effectively with refugees.
STARTTS providers a holistic range of services which have involved in response to the needs of our clients. Our range of services includes:
- Culturally appropriate counselling and therapy (for individuals, families and groups)
- Group work, including self-support groups, health education and other activities
- Psychiatric assessment and treatment
- Physiotherapy, therapeutic massage and acupuncture
- Pain management and exercise groups
- Activities for young people, including camps, excursions and Capoeira
- Referral and case management
- Community liaison and consultation
- Community development projects
- Training of mainstream service-providers in awareness of refugee issues and strategies to work with this client group
- Research and evaluation
STARTTS also works closely with other service providers to develop partnership to meet the needs of refugee.